Saturday, October 02, 2010

This Crazy Love Affair


I've always loved food, I grew up with my family getting together for meals.  Being with family to me equals food on the table.  I didn't grow up rich, but there's always been food in our kitchen.  Suffice it to say, I was never skinny.  Add to the fact that I wasn't into sports my whole life, I was more into reading books, the "weighty" issue has always been present.

Growing up, I didn't know that junk food was bad.  My mom kept a huge tupperware (and I think it still exists) full of food - from Chippy, to bread, to cookies.  After a meal, she'd be planning on the next meal.  And I honestly thought all families are like that.  I thought it's excusable not to eat vegetables, that only older ones liked vegetables.

And then I got married.  I learned that I shouldn't be eating junk food.  That vegetables are a must on the table.  That chicharon is awful.  That chicken skin can lead to a slow death. 

It's a total paradigm shift.  Slowly, I've started eating vegetables and surprisingly, I actually like them.  I've also only been eating brown rice and paksiw na isda.  I've stayed so far away from chocolates (such sacrifice! :( ).  Although I've slowly become a healthy eater, partly to keep myself alive longer and partly to teach my son, I still have these cravings.  I still long for that junk food fix, or for that chicken skin or for that lechon.  I do keep the cravings in check - I don't overindulge like I used to.

I don't know if I can totally kick the cravings.  I really hope I do.  Or so help me God.

No comments: