Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Why?

Practicing to write

When I was a kid, whatever my Mom told me, I'd follow.  Like my Mom said not to stay out after 6pm.  So I always ran home before it was 6, even when my playmates were still outside, well, playing.  Or when my Mom said not to bike outside the house, so I biked around our garage instead even when I got so dizzy turning in circles LOL

Experts say that we have to keep a set of rules for kids to follow.  Kids follow structure.  So I set rules for our little boy to follow, some rules were handed down to me, some new.  One particular rule I inherited and my little is having a hard time following is not to stay out after 6pm.  Whenever I asked my little to come inside before it's 6, he would always ask why.  And every single time, I answer the same thing.  What I don't get is that, he always asks "Why" and I say the exact same thing. 

When I was his age, I never asked, I just followed the rules.  But this little boy, he asks.  Always.  Like why he needed to eat vegetables, why he is allowed to eat only half of the donut, why he can't drink Coke, why he needs to practice writing, why he's not allowed to watch Willy's noon time show.  Endless whys.  Sometimes I get tired answering and I take out the "Because I say so" card.  You'd think the questions stop, but they keep on coming LOL

I'm not sure if I like answering the why's, coz really, it gets tiring.  But I let him ask and sometimes I shot it back to him and ask "Why do you think?".  It keeps him curious, makes him question and learn things.  It exercises my mind and his too. 

Maybe I should record myself when I answer him why he needs to go inside the house before 6.  So the next time he asks, I'll just play it for him :D

No comments: