Wednesday, August 05, 2009

A Cory Week


Last Saturday, at 9am, while waiting at my dentist, I learned that Cory Aquino passed away. I was shocked but also relieved that she finally has found her final rest. The whole nation is aware of her sickness and her journey through it all. I worked near Makati Med, and everyday I'd pass by the hospital and saw yellow ribbons all over the area.


Last week, Makati was a yellow city. Cars had yellow ribbons, 7-11 were giving yellow ribbons to pin on clothes. I even got one for myself, and wore it last Thursday. Eversince I learned that Cory was undergoing pain management therapy, I know it won't be long before she leaves us. That day I also started praying for her everyday, and for her family.


I was born 1977, so Marcos was still the president then. At the Snap Elections, my aunt, uncle and cousins were Marcos loyalists. Our neighbor were for Cory, and bought Malaya newspaper. I couldn't understand what was going on, all I knew then was you shouldn't be reading Malaya haha!


When the Edsa Revolution happened, our whole family ran to the provinces to hide. The elders really thought that there will be another war. But there was no war. That's the time I learned of Cory. And her great gift to the Filipino people.


On Monday, her funeral march passed by Ayala Avenue. I stood with the crowd in front our building at 11:30am. She finally passed us at 1pm. When the truck carrying her casket was in front of us, the crowd fell silent and suddenly burst out in applause. It was a defining, goosebump moment. Clearly, she's deeply loved. I was glad to have honored her, albeit in my own little way.


Last night, I stayed up late to watch the Necrological Service replay on ANC. Boy! Did I cry buckets! I don't know her personally, but hearing all the testimonies, I felt that I knew Cory. For me, the nicest testimony was from her Security staff, Mel. It was truly heart felt and sincere. Broke down more when he saluted.


I've been since 8am to catch the funeral mass on TV. Again, I cried buckets. Howell.


Thank you so much President Cory. You are truly an icon. The Filipino icon of freedom. May you rest in peace.



No comments: