Tuesday, August 13, 2013

To be a full time WAHM or better!

Source
When I was single and well, mingled (ha!), my friend and I set out sights on marrying someone rich and then becoming a full time housewife, with lots of shopping money to spare.  Back then, (yes, that was like a decade ago), WAHMs and SAHMs were still foreign terms.  In Hong Kong or Singapore (or perhaps in China too), they call these ladies who married rich as tai-tai.

Anyhoo, I didn't become a tai-tai.  I still worked full time after I got married and gave birth.  Having moved to the suburbs, I commuted for 3-4 hours a day in the early days of marriage and motherhood.  This meant I left home when my baby was still asleep and got home when he was already sleeping.  Heart wrenching to a new Mom when my baby didn't want to sleep with me and that he would rather sleep with the nanny.  Fortunately, I was able to arrange work from home with my boss back in 2007.  And I never looked back.

Now, my work hours are more flexible.  I'm able to work from home most of the time.  Of course, when there are meetings or visitors or when I have to submit files, I do go to the office.  I also miss talking with officemates or exchanging ideas with them, so I do go in the office as well.

I was speaking to the other moms at the office and majority of us dreamed of staying at home.  But we don't, and sometimes we can't.  Working away from home is hard, and seeing your children grow up without you there always is extremely difficult.  But one Mom said this and I totally agree, that if you want to be able to help provide for your family and to also be able to afford some luxuries, then we have to work.  Nothing comes in a silver platter.  There are trade offs of course, but we can always adjust and regroup.

I'm not entirely sure though if I can wing being a SAHM, full time.  I do get cabin fever.  A lot.  And I'm not very domesticated.  So right now, this WAHM situation is working so well for me.  I thank God everyday for this set-up and I work hard to make sure this will continue.... until, maybe, I get an offer to become a CEO :D  But one thing's for sure, I won't giving up WAHMing for anything less.

No comments: